Complaints Policy


< Back to policies & procedures

Patient Complaints Procedure

If you have a complaint or concern about the service you have received from us, please let us know.  We operate a practice complaints procedure as part of the NHS system for dealing with complaints.


How to Complain

We hope that most problems can be sorted out easily and quickly, often at the time they arise and with the person concerned.  If your problem cannot be sorted out in this way and you wish to make a complaint, we would like you to let us know as soon as possible – because this will enable us to establish what happened more easily.  If it is not possible to do that, please let us have details of your complaint.

  • Within 12 months of the incident that caused the problem, or
  • Within 12 months of discovering that you have a problem

Ways to complain

  1. In writing, addressed to Tracey Squirrell, Practice Manager via the practice address:

    Hadleigh Health Centre
    Market Place
    IP7 5DN

  2. Completing an online complaint form here
  3. Verbally via the telephone on 01473 822 961
    • please note that complicated complaints may be asked to be put in writing
  4. Alternatively, you may ask for an appointment with one of our Management team in order to discuss your concerns.  It will be a great help if you are specific as possible about your complaint.

What we shall do

We shall acknowledge your complaint within three working days. As part of this acknowledgement, you should be informed about the length of time it will take to investigate your complaint, this will depend on the nature of the complaint and its complexity. Unavoidable delays may occur in the event of a clinician being absent due to holiday or illness and they are required to contribute to the response.

When we look into your complaint, we shall aim to:

  • Find out what happened and what went wrong.
  • Make it possible to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this.
  • Make sure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate.
  • Identify what we can do to make sure the problem does not happen again.
  • Share anonymised learning points with the wider practice team.

Complaining on Behalf of Someone Else

We keep strictly to the rules of patient confidentiality.

If you complaining on behalf of someone else, we have to know that you have his or her permission to do so. A consent form signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable (because of illness) of providing this.  In these cases consent will be required from the patient's representative/next of kin.


Local Integrated Care Board (ICB)

If you do not feel able to complain directly to the practice you may make your complaint directly to the Local Integrated Care Board (ICB)

  1. By telephone: Freephone 0800 389 6819
  2. Make a complaint by email
  3. By post: Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), Endeavour House, Russell Road, Ipswich, IP1 2BX

Not Satisfied with the Local Resolution

We hope that if you have a problem you will use our practice complaints procedure.

We believe this will give us the best chance of putting right whatever has gone wrong and an opportunity to improve our practice. If you are dissatisfied with the outcome, you have the right to approach the Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman, their contact details are:

  1. Address: The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP
  2. Telephone: 0345 015 4033
  3. Make a complaint to the Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman

Other Help Available

You may also approach Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) or Healthwatch.

  1. Visit the Healthwatch website for more information
  2. PALS: telephone 0800 389 6819